Series: The Bone Season, #1
Published by Bloomsbury USA on August 20th 2013
Genres: Dystopia, Paranormal, Young Adult
Amazon | The Book Depository
The Bone Season is a paranormal series set in future England. I loved this idea so much! It’s based in a world where people have clairvoyant abilities, normal humans are terrified of those paranormal abilities and have put measures into place to discover & destroy them.
What I liked
- The Bone Season really surprised me. The summary doesn’t interest me at all but a friend of mine convinced me to give it a try because she really likes this series. The beginning was a bit slow but once I pushed through it I fell in love with this world and these characters.
- The characters were gritty but really likeable. I wasn’t sure how I felt about Paige but as I read, the more I liked her and understood her. Her ability to walk in other peoples dreamscape’s was really confusing to understand at first but it sounded like such a cool ability. Warden was a complex character and I loved discovering him more and more.
- This story has layers and so many things happening at once. I’m really excited to continue this series to see where it goes.
- Even after finishing this book I can’t stop thinking about it, picking up the second book really excites me because being immersed in this world was amazing the first time around.
What I didn’t like
- The only thing I didn’t like about The Bone Season was that there were so many new words that I had no idea what they meant. Luckily there’s a glossary at the end of the book so I was constantly turning to the glossary, but I felt like it was still really hard to wrap my head around everything. I also feel like the glossary should be at the beginning of the book.
- It looks like each book comes out every two years. WHY?! The fourth book is said to be published in 2018 so I hope that actually happens because waiting two years for each book will be TORTURE.
The Bone Season is a complex story that is worth reading. The characters are fun to fall in love with, the world is crazy and interesting, and there’s more going on than you think. I loved this book and I can’t wait to get into the next one!